Looking for a Job in Cybersecurity? Tips and Tricks to Get Started
Learn about some of the most demanded cybersecurity skills for 2022 and quick tips for active job seeking!
As part of Cybersecurity Awareness Month and given that this week’s theme is based on cybersecurity careers, we would like to share with you some of the main tips and tricks to initiate your job hunting or career advancement in information security. In this post, we will be addressing some of the most demanded cybersecurity skills for 2022 and quick tips for active job seeking.
Top Skills for 2021:
It is no secret that cybersecurity skills are currently in high demand. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, cybersecurity jobs are expected to grow 31 percent from 2019 to 2029, making it one of the most attractive careers in the market. And given that becoming one of the best cybersecurity professionals doesn’t necessarily require you to have a computer science background, it is becoming highly challenging for professionals to stand out in this vast industry. Hence, we would like to highlight some of CSO’s top cybersecurity skills that are surely driving the demand and that will allow you to stand out from the crowd:
- Risk Identification and Management: Highly valued security professionals understand the business and industry they are in. They have the capacity to identify threats and risks in a timely matter to re-allocate resources and secure the digital infrastructure.
- Technical Fundamentals: Understanding concepts such as the IT architecture, monitoring, authentication, and the components of the IT infrastructure, is required for defining and managing security plans.
- Data Management and Analysis: Security and risk professionals are expected to understand and deploy massive sets of information to guarantee more efficient protection systems.
- DevSecOps: To ensure highly secure systems, security professionals must have knowledge and experience in application design, development, and operation.
- Cloud: Skills related to cloud adoption have become increasingly popular in the industry. The most demanded professionals are those with experience in cloud deployment and expertise in several public cloud platforms and their architecture.
According to CSO Online, other skills in high demand include threat hunting, agility and believe it or not - interpersonal skills. Security professionals must not only be able to deliver early detection and protection against threats, but also work in collaboration with stakeholders under agile methods that will allow the organization to respond to rapidly changing environments.
Quick Tips for Active Job Seeking:
Now that you are aware of some of the most demanded cybersecurity skills in the industry, it is important to start understanding how the job market works to find the most suitable job opportunity for you.
As mentioned before, the cybersecurity job market has rapidly grown over the last few years and is expected to keep expanding, just as technology continues to advance. But even though career seekers are becoming more attracted to this industry, reality shows that there are not as many cybersecurity professionals and experts to satisfy the market’s needs. Thus, opportunities are plenty for those dabbling in this field, offering them plenty of benefits and high salaries by either staring as a security analyst in SOC, all the way to senior security analyst, or even managerial roles such as Chief Privacy Officer (CPO) or Chief Information Security Officer (CISO).
To initiate your career in cybersecurity and become an active job seeker, it is highly recommended for you to consider the following areas:
- Education in Cybersecurity: Even though it is not necessary, it is always a good idea to start by pursuing a bachelors or associate degree in cybersecurity. Computer science might also be a good option.
- Certifications: Having both experience and certifications in cybersecurity will help you step further in your job seeking. According to Burning Glass, “60 percent of cybersecurity positions require that the applicant have at least one certification.” You could get certified in areas such as Ethical Hacking and Information Systems Security.
- Online learning resources: In case you are looking for online learning resources, platforms such as Coursera, KhanAcademy and Udemy will allow you to gain knowledge on a vast array of cybersecurity skills and concepts.
- Entry-level jobs: Entry-level cybersecurity jobs might include functions such as log monitoring, maintaining back-ups, and managing updates. Becoming an information security analyst might also be an option for those with a bachelor’s degree, or even a cybersecurity professional for your national government. To become a more competitive job-applicant, consider joining cybersecurity bootcamps. These intensive training courses are offered by educational institutions and can last either weeks or months, depending on the field of study.
- Job-Searching Platforms: When looking for either inhouse or remote cybersecurity jobs, there exists a wide range of online platforms that will help you define your professional profile, keep you posted on job openings, and even find a job. Some of the most recognized platforms include Indeed.com and CyberSeek.
Whether you are seeking to start a career path in cybersecurity or looking for a new job in this arena, make sure to receive training on some of the industry’s most valued skills and keep yourself informed and updated on how to stand out to your potential employers.
Godyla, Natalia. “Get Career Advice from 7 Inspiring Leaders in Cybersecurity.” Microsoft Security Blog, 14 Oct. 2021, https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2021/10/18/get-career-advice-from-7-inspiring-leaders-in-cybersecurity/.
Liddle, Aireal. “Cybersecurity Jobs - Requirements, Salaries, and Working in Government.” Cybersecurity Guide, 6 Oct. 2021, https://cybersecurityguide.org/resources/cybersecurity-jobs/.
Pratt, Mary K. “Top 10 in-Demand Cybersecurity Skills for 2021.” CSO Online, CSO, 15 Dec. 2020, https://www.csoonline.com/article/3599095/top-10-in-demand-cybersecurity-skills-for-2021.html.
¿Cómo explicarle a los niños los conceptos básicos de la ciberseguridad?
Métodos de explicación y consejos para garantizar que los conceptos de ciberseguridad sean fáciles de entender para los niños!
Is it possible to create an unguessable password?
A few tips to ensure your passwords are strong enough to fight modern password-based attacks.